Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Root Vegetable Fries with Gremolata



Do you know someone who hates sweet potatoes? I did. His name is Keith and he was an avid sweet potato hater when he woke up yesterday morning.


This recipe changed that.


I started making this knowing that he hates them. And not understanding why. They are exactly as they are described: sweet potatoes. Sweet. Potatoes. Potatoes that are sweet. What's not to love?!


He thought they were carrots, and the first thing he bit into when he was picking at the cooling french fries was a sweet potato. The reaction?


"Oh my god, what did I just eat? MARY! IS THIS A SWEET POTATO?!"
"Yes. What do you think?"
".... I like it. But don't get any ideas!"



Well. It's too late for that now!





Root Vegetable Fries with Gremolata
(from Yoga Journal)

2 lbs of root veggies of your choice
(ideas: potatoes, sweet potatoes, carrots, rutabagas parsnips, yams)
4 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons fresh sage ( OR 1 teaspoon dried)
Salt to taste


Gremolata

2 tablespoons parsley
2 garlic cloves
1 teaspoon lemon zest





Preheat oven to 400°F (205°C).


Peel all of the vegetables and cut into fry-sized pieces. I used one half of each of the following: sweet potato, parsnip, rutabaga. I also used one large red potato and one large carrot (not peeled).


Put all of your fries into a large bowl. Add olive oil, sage, and salt; mix until the fries are coated evenly. Go easy on the salt - the herbs and garlic are so strong that these fries have great flavor without much salt! And you can always add some later, if you want to.





Spread the fries on a large cookie sheet for baking. Cook for 20 minutes, stir, and cook for about 20 more (for a total of about 40 minutes; mine took 45-50, but my oven is lame). The fries should be crispy on the outside and soft on the inside.


While the fries are cooking, mix the parsley, lemon zest, and garlic to make gremolata. When fries are finished, toss with the gremolata mix and serve. No need for ketchup on these fries! They taste too good for that.


(I did not use lemon zest and this recipe was still amazing. I am trying to find information on whether lemon zest contains citric acid - I do not think it does from what I have found so far, but I would rather not chance it!)




No comments:

Post a Comment